Does your kid swallow all kinds of objects?
Thousands of children swallow all kinds of objects every year. While a few things can be dangerous, it’s not a serious problem in most cases. Children ages a half year to 3 years are destined to swallow something they shouldn’t. Kids in Nigeria are most likely to ingest anything they come across, while in other countries, fish bones are a common offender. Other items doctors find include toys, buttons, earrings, rings, paper clips, game pieces, needles, pins, tacks, toothpicks, screws, and nails. Two things are especially dangerous: button batteries and magnets.
Indications of trouble
Your kid may show no indications at all subsequent to swallowing an odd item, But clues that something’s wrong can include coughing, drooling, bloody saliva, fever, refusing food, and vomiting. Pain in their neck, chest, or throat can be another sign. Go to the hospital immediately if your child has any of these or call a doctor if they have any trouble breathing, are wheezing or making any other strange sound when they breathe, or if they can’t speak, cough, or cry.
The swallow test
If your child swallowed something small and is showing no signs of trouble, you may give them a drink of water. If that goes down easily, you may try a piece of bread. (Enzymes in saliva will help dissolve the bread if it sticks.) If either of these cause any problems, take your child to the hospital.
The most effective method to Prevent Trouble
Children are curious and put things in their mouths. You can make your child safer by checking toys for magnets and watching your kid carefully when they play with those toys. Keep anything with button batteries out of reach, and put away objects with small parts that might come loose. It’s also good to warn older children to keep their toys away from younger ones.